I have been back in the UK for a few days now – and my 6th MIPIM is over. I have had a chance now to reflect on the show and whether it was a success.
It is always a show seized upon by the press as being something of a ‘jolly’. We try our best to defend it as a business show where we work hard. But the images of us on luxury Yachts sipping some form of alcohol in the warm sunshine of Cannes makes it difficult to defend.
It is incredibly hard work though – most days start at around 8.30 and go on into the early hours. Breakfast, lunch and dinner simply punctuate the rounds of meetings and presentations. My feet still ache! I haven’t read through my notes. I have a pile of business cards to put in my address book.
The memorable features of this years show for me:
1. The Krasnodar dinner and signing
2. The launch of Nottingham Southside
3. My Robin Hood presentation
But we are always asked what tangible jobs we get out of it. It is wrong to say that we won jobs whilst we were there. We are there to network and raise the profile of Nottingham and of our own firm.
I have said before that if only 5% of marketing is successful you wouldn’t bother with the other 95%. The difficulty is you never actually know which 5% works! MIPIM puts lots of the 5% people in the same place at the same time – so your potential hit rate is higher.
But interestingly this year I have come away with three positive things (I can’t divulge the exact details for obvious reasons)…
1. A very significant management opportunity;
2. A requirement for a retailer who wants to open an outlet in Nottingham;
3. An opportunity to be part of a team who have won a bid on a major scheme in Nottingham – they need professional advice.
In addition I have made a number of new contacts – who I will keep in touch with.
We had great profile whilst at MIPIM as I blogged about a couple of days ago.
It’s not just about me and my firm – it’s also about Nottingham too. The benefits to the City are perhaps even less tangible, but it will be interesting to get some feedback from the other delegates over the next few weeks.
It was interesting to see the PR from MIPIM themselves who suggested,
With 17,300 attendees from 81 countries and 1,720 exhibiting companies, attendance figures for MIPIM 2010 were comparable with those of 2009; and this stabilisation was also reflected in the mood among delegates attending the event. Markets are turning the corner and the property sector is making ready for the future.
All in all I think this was one of the best MIPIM shows I have been to. And it was hard work – honest!